Re: Netatalk on RH9

On Saturday, Craig wrote:

Yes, what you want to do makes a big difference... Netatalk is
MISERABLE for Mac OS X clients. For starters, I believe versions of
netatalk prior to 1.6 are susceptible to causing kernel panics for OS X
clients, so the Red Hat-included package is worthless if you have OS X
clients. The second major issue is that file names must be 31
characters or less, while OS X allows 255 character names. I use OS X
regularly myself, and I NEVER use netatalk. I use samba instead, since
it has no problem with long file names, and OS X has a native samba
client.
----
not wanting to debate this but...

If you enable a login message - any login message, OSX clients work.
It's stupid but it makes a difference.

Huh. I'd never seen that fix... I thought it was a far more complex issue, having to do with the way lists of files and/or resource forks were handled. I couldn't get netatalk stable with my OS X clients until I compiled netatalk from source with the --with-did=cnid option.

Regardless, you're still going to be limited to 31 character names on files, which I personally can't stand.

I haven't tested the version included with shrike so I can't comment...I
have had good success by downloading source and compiling my own, both
before and after 1.6 versions. I'm currently using 1.5.3 on my linux
server at home right now and I must be stupid but it's working fine.

I'm trying to think back, and I think pre-1.6 versions (installed from source, and with the right compile options) actually did work with OS X for the most part, but still had a few issues, though I can't recall specifically what they were anymore. I've got netatalk 1.6.something installed on my RHL9 server, but I pretty much always use samba. It's there for the extremely rare occasion I need to access something with a pre-X Mac.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
WilsoNet Technologies