language and locale

Is language support and locales mutaully exclusive?

For example, here are some of the supported languages in redhat:
@ Brazilian Support
@ British Support
@ Canadian Support
@ Catalan Support
@ Chinese Support
@ Czech Support
@ Danish Support
@ Dutch Support
@ Estonian Support
@ Finnish Support
@ French Support
@ German Support
@ Spanish Support
@ Swedish Support
@ Turkish Support
@ Ukrainian Support

If you choose Spanish, you can still choose a locale other than a spanish speaking locale correct?
I'm just trying to understand why there are so many locales. There's over 15 locales for spanish alone.

I'm thinking about adding a section in our ks file that allows the end user to select the desired language support, then modify the ks file accordingly. Not sure about locales.

-steve