Re: PDA Recommendation

At 7/11/2003 08:17 -0700, you wrote:
You just about have me convinced - I'm wavering between a laptop and a PDA for emergency remote access to client sites when I get called at odd hours. Riddle me this, what kind of fees are you having to pay for the wireless internet access?

Not what you were looking for, I'm sure, but as a bit of trivia:

In El Salvador, we recently finished building a shopping mall (Hipermall Las Cascadas) and worked closely with a local carrier (Telemovil) on their wireless offering. They already offer cellular and such, but neither CDPD nor GPRS or other wide-area technologies were our interest. What they have just successfully set up are Wi-Fi hotspots (802.11b) in three shopping malls and four major universities, such that you can use it with any WiFi-enabled PDA or laptop.

Rates average $1.50 per hour, and throughput on my computer anywhere in our Food Court averages 512 Kbps most of the time.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx