Re: PDA Recommendation

On Friday 11 July 2003 08:20, Price Technology wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2003 22:41, Colburn wrote:
> > The Sharp Zaurus series, recently supplemented by model 5600, and a
> > couple of other models that are being indirectly imported to the US
with
> > some neat features.  They are shipped with Linux as the OS.
> >
> Therefore one would assume they will interface with Linux as well.
Any
> personal experience (ie do you got one) ??
>
> Joebewan

Others have posted but I didn't see anybody discuss the connection
issue with the Zaurus. The sync support over the USB cable seemed
flaky last year when I first got one. At the time you had to recompile
the kernel and enable some experimental ethernet over USB modules or
something like that. I decide a CF network card was the easy solution
so I haven't followed the kernel to see if the cradle issue is now
solved.

The Qtopia desktop software on Linux does seem to work fine for
syncing the address book with both the original Sharp ROMS and
OpenZaurus. I believe the latest Sharp ROM now uses a database for the
PIM data rather than the XML file the original ROM and OpenZaurus uses
(to be compatible). I also think I read that there is no Linux (only
Windows) sync software that works with the new Sharp ROM that uses a
database. I personally use OpenZaurus and rsync to back up my files to
my Linux desktop.

For pure PDA uses (addressbook, calendar, todo list), the PalmOS
based machines are probably more polished (I've never owned one), but
if you want to be able to ssh in/out of your PDA, use VNC to display
your PDA screen on your desktop, the Zaurus is great. Developing apps
using Python is also one of the reasons I was interested in the Zaurus
but at this I've only written one app for my Zaurus. My main use is
the addressbook and taking notes at meetings using the Pocketop
keyboard.

Dave