Re: PDA Recommendation

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Dave Reed wrote:

> Others have posted but I didn't see anybody discuss the connection
> issue with the Zaurus. The sync support over the USB cable seemed
> flaky last year when I first got one. At the time you had to recompile
> the kernel and enable some experimental ethernet over USB modules or
> something like that.

at the time, yes, there was a patch to the kernel, but more
recent kernels have that support built-in (the kernel config
process even has a selection for PDA support), so it's much
easier these days.

i've had my zaurus on the LAN here both via the USB cradle, and
using a wireless CF card.  i also have a cheap hawking technologies
wired net card with which i've attached my Z to a corporate LAN,
and had it come up via DHCP.

these days, connectivity is not a big problem.  what *is* a problem
is that sharp seem to be phasing out the 5500 model, and i'm not
sure what their long-term plans are.  their newer SL-C7x0 models
(the clamshell models) are gorgeous (you can see one at

http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus7xx/index.shtml

but sharp are being funny about not making these things
globally available.

rday