Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 13:58, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Colburn wrote:
> > Could RedHat utilize an auto-conversion utility to make mpeg files
> > something open source friendly before they are ever opened?
>
> A conversion utility would also implement the patented software
> routines, and could not be distributed.  The patents don't cover players
> only, but any software that reads/writes those formats.

A player must first read in order to play -- a conversion app would do
no more than a player -- Read then Convert.

I'd sure like to be the lawyer vs the MPEG thugs tying them up in knots
trying to convince a judge of the difference "on the ground"!

No more MPEG code is used to convert than to play.  They lose.

;-)  doc