Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

seth vidal said:

>> Could you explain that a little better, I don't think I understand your
>> point.  Even if you just have someone responding to bugzilla entries
>> saying "We don't ship it so we don't support it" that still costs money.
>> Hell, then you will have certain "news" sites that love to hate Red Hat
>> going off on tirades about how "you can easily install all of this
>> software, but Red Hat won't support you".
>
> Check the AS warranty - see what it says about unsupported products. I'm
> betting this already exists.
>
> Think about the NVIDIA drivers and kernel tainting.

And I repeat, "Even if you just have someone responding to bugzilla
entries saying 'We don't ship it so we don't support it' that still costs
money."

Currently you have to go to NVidia to get those drivers, so most people
would understand that you go to NVidia for support.  If a newbie were able
to go to "Other Packages" and install the drivers, it wouldn't be as
obvious.

>> > Then red hat better get out of the freesoftware business if this their
>> > concern.
>>
>> I don't think I get this one either.  The current situation is that
>> using
>> Red Hat tools you install packages that have been checked over by Red
>> Hat.
>>  There is a reasonable expectation that they will not included blatantly
>> evil code.  With a third party you don't have that expectation (until
>> the
>> third party has proved themselves).
>
> Right - but ultimately all code (excluding that which red hat
> developers, themselves, wrote) is "3rd party"
>
> The "checked over" just isn't possible given their resources.
>
> There is a lot of "trusting" that certain developers did the right
> thing. There has to be.
>
> -sv

Red Hat does have developers involved in a number of Open Source software
projects (either officially or unofficially).  I would still trust
anything I got from "redhat.com" more than I would something I got from
"www.rr.com/~joesomeone".

Then we are back to trusted sources, and if Red Hat is going to have to go
around and select trusted sources, then your unsupported apps just got a
whole lot support intensive again.

--
William Hooper