Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Florin Andrei said:
> On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 19:01, seth vidal wrote:
>>
>> the Red Hat Linux line is now considered for "home users and hobbyists"
>> according to the info on the webpage.
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux is for production/server/etc use.
>> So why shouldn't devel of RHL be more influenced by the demands of the
>> end user - the hobbyist - the more common OSS developer?
>> Red Hat won't gain much revenue from the hobbyist user in RHL anyway -
>> at least not through up2date/rhn. So why not include a third party
>> updater?
>
> Duh. Because then people will start using that freeware gizmo on the
> enterprise thing, and will stop paying big money for the Satellite or
> whatever it's called...

A more plausible scenario would be that people would use this freeware
gizmo to grab non-Red Hat packages, bork their system, then flood the
mailing lists and bugzilla with problems.  For example, I see messages in
the FreshRPMS.net archives about people using apt getting bit by the
i386/i686 downgrade bug in glibc.

Or worse yet, one of these third party packages has a Trojan/Backdoor that
the unwashed masses think came from Red Hat and Red Hat gets a ton of bad
press.

--
William Hooper