RE: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:
> [...]

You are looking at this from the anything-but-Microsoft world. The "real
world" is far easier than you think. The Windows user gets the Windows
Media Player out of the box. MP3? Streaming audio? Streaming video? DVD
player? CD ripping? CD burning? It's all there. The Windows user needs to
do exactly NOTHING to get all these features. The Red Hat user starts off
with zilch.

You assume that a Windows user would want to install an alphabet soup of
stuff that the ABM world would want: OGG, DivX, Real, QT. But Microsoft
provides its own counterparts to all of these out of the box. And
Microsoft's "standards" are widely supported on many web sites. In many
cases, it already works, and that's what counts.

I also think you are overstating the ease of installing from Freshrpms and
friends, and I am saying this as an apt-get fan. The Red Hat user needs to
learn about apt, decide on a front-end, download/install the stuff, select
apt repository mirrors, edit the sources.list file, and then try to mix
and match the eccentric codec, format and app names. "Xine? What's that?"
Plus there is the need to log in as root. How many steps do you need to be
able to play an embedded WMA video using a plugin on a typical web page? A
Windows user needs to do exactly nothing, and nothing is easier than
nothing :-). Where an extra codec is needed, like Quicktime, all the user
has to do is to follow the link on the web page, make a few clicks and
watch the pretty installation wizard.

As an exercise, try enumerating the number of steps needed to watch the
trailers in http://www.apple.com/trailers in your browser with Red Hat.
Ugh.

Chris