RE: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 12:31, Christopher Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

False. Patently so.

Out of the box on RH9 I have numerous options to burn/rip CDs. Of
course, if you install *SERVER* you won't find them; but then, if one
installs SERVER and expects to be able to rip audio files and DVDs, the
fault is not the vendor's.

Maybe you should try an install so you can speak with knowledge, not
FUD.

heck w/RH9, do an install and when logged in, put a blank CD-R/RW into
the burner, and watch Nautilus open of a window to drag-and-drop files
to to burn.

> As an exercise, try enumerating the number of steps needed to watch the
> trailers in http://www.apple.com/trailers in your browser with Red Hat.
> Ugh.

1. Subscribe to Crossover-plugin (pay money)
2. Download crossover-plugin RPM
3. Install crossover-plugin
4. Use GUI tool to install Quicktime using the exact same installer you
do on Windows
5. Start browser
6. Enjoy

Compare this to MS-land:
1. Buy MS Windows (pay money)
2. Download Quicktime installer
3. Run Quicktime installer
4. Decide whether or not you want quicktime or WMP to run various files
5. Reboot system
6. Start browser
7. (cross-fingers) Enjoy

Now, step 1-3 gets "amortized" over additional plugin installations,
such as RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, and others, just as step 1
does in MS-land.

But hey, let us go the other way.

-> Make a PDF
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Make presentations, spreadsheets, text (or "office") documents.
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Range of photo and image manipulation editing, from basic to 3-d to
high-end?
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Take OS cd and install to wife's machine. Legally.
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Development tools, compiler, etc.
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Project Management tools
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Ability to use zipped files?
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.(or perpetually upgrade WinZip trials)

-> Financial Management Software
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Public/Private Key usage/generation/management (such as GPG/PGP)
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; (go pay money?)

-> Full featured Email clients, capable of calendaring, scheduling, and
multiple account features, easy-to-use filtering, etc.
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope; go pay money.

-> Multi-platform capable Instant Messaging
  RedHat? Out of the box.
  MSWindows? Nope

-> Secure remote login capability
  RedHat? Out of the box.