Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

On 26 May 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> If someone at red hat is interested I'd love to talk more about it.
> it would mean existent repositories could be useful with r-c-p and
> mirror-admins wouldn't need to have multiple types of data eating up
> space  for holding the package-info.

While I would love to see yum included I cannot see it happening (someone
please prove me wrong). Last time I checked RedHat had this nice thing they call
Satelite server. I have heard that it costs approx $36,000.00 USD just for
the software. That does not include hardware or an Oracle license. I just cannot
come up with a set of conditions where Red Hat would include something like Yum
which can be setup to do basically the same thing for free. Having recently sat
through one of Red Hat's marketing sessions for "Satelite Server" the whole time
I was there I kept thinking why would anyone buy this when things like yum are
available tor free. The only reason I could come up with was that big corporate
customers like big $$$$ solutions.

Maybe I am missing something but.....

--
......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)