Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

> Could you explain that a little better, I don't think I understand your
> point.  Even if you just have someone responding to bugzilla entries
> saying "We don't ship it so we don't support it" that still costs money.
> Hell, then you will have certain "news" sites that love to hate Red Hat
> going off on tirades about how "you can easily install all of this
> software, but Red Hat won't support you".

Check the AS warranty - see what it says about unsupported products. I'm
betting this already exists.

Think about the NVIDIA drivers and kernel tainting.

> > Then red hat better get out of the freesoftware business if this their
> > concern.
>
> I don't think I get this one either.  The current situation is that using
> Red Hat tools you install packages that have been checked over by Red Hat.
>  There is a reasonable expectation that they will not included blatantly
> evil code.  With a third party you don't have that expectation (until the
> third party has proved themselves).

Right - but ultimately all code (excluding that which red hat
developers, themselves, wrote) is "3rd party"

The "checked over" just isn't possible given their resources.

There is a lot of "trusting" that certain developers did the right
thing. There has to be.

-sv