Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

seth vidal said:

>> A more plausible scenario would be that people would use this freeware
>> gizmo to grab non-Red Hat packages, bork their system, then flood the
>> mailing lists and bugzilla with problems.  For example, I see messages
>> in
>> the FreshRPMS.net archives about people using apt getting bit by the
>> i386/i686 downgrade bug in glibc.
>
> This what Red Hat's Licensing agreement is for - to protect themselves
> from morons.

Could you explain that a little better, I don't think I understand your
point.  Even if you just have someone responding to bugzilla entries
saying "We don't ship it so we don't support it" that still costs money.
Hell, then you will have certain "news" sites that love to hate Red Hat
going off on tirades about how "you can easily install all of this
software, but Red Hat won't support you".

>> Or worse yet, one of these third party packages has a Trojan/Backdoor
>> that
>> the unwashed masses think came from Red Hat and Red Hat gets a ton of
>> bad
>> press.
>
> Then red hat better get out of the freesoftware business if this their
> concern.

I don't think I get this one either.  The current situation is that using
Red Hat tools you install packages that have been checked over by Red Hat.
 There is a reasonable expectation that they will not included blatantly
evil code.  With a third party you don't have that expectation (until the
third party has proved themselves).

--
William Hooper