T22 Laptop Freezing in X -- Help Debugging

Hello...

I'm having some troubles with my IBM Thinkpad T22 running RH 9 and I'm
hoping I can get some help for debugging from this list.

Like I said, I'm running RH 9 on an IBM Thinkpad T22 (model 2647-M6U).
I'm currently on the road, so I'm depending very heavily on my laptop.
Last night, while browsing the Web with Galeon (1.3.4), I was scrolling
down a page while grabbing the scrollbar and holding button one on the
touchpad.  It locked hard.  Later one, after rebooting, I was using a
Logitech USB mouse and the same thing happend;  scrolling down a page
holding button one and then a hard lock.

I've had this problem in the past.  I'm not sure when it began.  I'm not
sure if it was before or after I installed RH 9 -- it's been running
whatever's the most recent released version of RH since I've had it --
but I'm inclined to say that it was after.

Galeon is my main/favorite browser, but I'm going to give Mozilla a try
and see if the problem persists.  Normally, I wouldn't think that a
screwy app would hard-lock a system, but I'm open to the possibility
that it is.  Beyond this, though, I'm really hardpressed to think of
ways to debug the problem.  Sadly, there's no way (that I have figured
out how) to trigger the problem.

Any suggestions?  Anybody else see this problem?  Any further info I can
provide?

Thanks,
pete