Re: Unable to Connect to Internet

hi Matthew  and others
Nothing is working. I did PEERDNS=yes in the  file
and also opened redhat-config-network and also edited my /etc/resolv.conf
(i knw i needed to do only 1 thing but i did all)
earlier my /etc/resolv.conf looked like this
/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 159.149.70.1
search crema.unimi.it
when i edited by hand by seeing similar file of another machine on LAN
it looked like this

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 159.149.70.1
nameserver 159.149.102.2
nameserver 194.243.154.62
search crema.unimi.it

when I restarted the  laptop it was overwritten and the file was again

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 159.149.70.1
search crema.unimi.it

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 now looks like this:

(after rebooting)

DEVICE =eth0

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTROTO=dhcp

PEERDNS=yes

TYPE=Ethernet

USETL=no

What to do..i m confused..have wasted around 3 hrs..switching between windows and linux :)
PS: I got lot of spams addressed to shrike list. DId you all also got. Its strange

Thanx waiting for your replies
Rebel

Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, rebel indian wrote:

> hi
> I am on a laptop machine and use DHCP.
> Will I have to write in the resolv.conf the name servers of all those whom i want to connect fr ex www.yahoo.com, www.google.com so many I will have to write?
> I want to know how can i enable the DNS service. In 7.3 I use to do it
> by using
> setup
> system services
> and enable dns
> but here i don found a dns service in systemservices.

You shouldn't need to run a dns *server* on your laptop (though it can
make life simpler at Laptop Lane). If your DHCP server supports it, try
including

PEERDNS=yes

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or check the appropriate box
in redhat-config-network). Then you will get the addresses of DNS servers
from your DHCP server placed in /etc/resolv.conf automagically..

If you want to run your own dns server, install the bind and
caching-nameserver RPMs (and make sure bind is up2date) and learn how to
configure them.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences