Re: Unable to Connect to Internet

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, rebel indian wrote:

> hi Matthew  and others
> Nothing is working. I did PEERDNS=yes in the  file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> and also opened redhat-config-network and also edited my /etc/resolv.conf
> (i knw i needed to do only 1 thing but i did all)
> earlier my /etc/resolv.conf looked like this
> /etc/resolv.conf
>

> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 159.149.70.1
> search crema.unimi.it
>
> when i edited by hand by seeing similar file of another machine on LAN
> it looked like this
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 159.149.70.1
> nameserver 159.149.102.2
> nameserver 194.243.154.62
> search crema.unimi.it
>

> when I restarted the  laptop it was overwritten and the file was again

That would seem to indicate that your DHCP server is providing DNS
information.

> nameserver 127.0.0.1

I think this line should be included only if you are running your own
caching DNS server.  What happens if you delete it?

> nameserver 159.149.70.1
> search crema.unimi.it
>

> My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 now looks like this:
>
> (after rebooting)
>
> DEVICE =eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTROTO=dhcp
> PEERDNS=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USETL=no

Should be USERCTL=no, but maybe you want USERCTL=yes so you don't have to
be root to restart the interface?

> What to do..i m confused..have wasted around 3 hrs..switching between
> windows and linux :)
> PS: I got lot of spams addressed to shrike list. DId you all also got.
> Its strange

That's some idiot who wanted to unsubscribe but couldn't figure out how,
so he's taking his frustrations out on the rest of us.

> Thanx waiting for your replies
> Rebel

PS Please wrap your lines around col 72.  Thanks.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx