Re: Unable to Connect to Internet

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, rebel indian wrote:

> hi
> I am on a laptop machine and use DHCP.
> Will I have to write in the resolv.conf the name servers of all those whom i want to connect fr ex  www.yahoo.com, www.google.com so many I will have to write?
> I want to know how can i enable the DNS service. In  7.3 I use to do it
> by using
> setup
> system services
> and enable dns
> but here i don found a dns service in systemservices.

You shouldn't need to run a dns *server* on your laptop (though it can
make life simpler at Laptop Lane).  If your DHCP server supports it, try
including

	PEERDNS=yes

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or check the appropriate box
in redhat-config-network).  Then you will get the addresses of DNS servers
from your DHCP server placed in /etc/resolv.conf automagically..

If you want to run your own dns server, install the bind and
caching-nameserver RPMs (and make sure bind is up2date) and learn how to
configure them.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences