Re: How to restore the boot partition?

Hello Aaron Konstam,
My PC boot manager is XOSL v.1.1.5 - http://www.xosl.org/. After I select Redhat Linux from the XOSL menu, then computer hang-ups. Nothing happens. No error message.

Hello Gerry Tool,
I can cat /boot/grub/grub.conf as follows, via "linux rescue" booted from the shrike install disc 1. I can retrieve this file from the boot partition. The linux master boot record in the linux boot partition, (for the location of the linux partitions, please note the listing as below), is corrupted most likely. How do I restore the linux MBR from the shrike install disc 1?

# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,8)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda10
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda9
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,8)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$6RHfLNgY$KbBSQEM4P8il0XXBrOLzj1
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.9)
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.9 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
At 08:51 2003/06/07 -0500, you wrote:

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 01:25:09PM +0800, Ciba LO wrote:
> Hello All Shrike-list Members,
>
> I have installed a new copy of RedHat 9.0 workstation with all the package
> groups on my IBM Aptiva. My IBM Aptiva is a multiboot computer of
> Windows98SE/MSDOS/RedHat Linux. The RedHat installation was successful
> with the RedHat GRUB boot loader on /dev/hda9. And it has been working
> okayed for more than one month. Now I cannot boot up the RedHat
> Linux. But I can enter the Linux root partition, /dev/hda10, via "linux
> rescue" booted from the shrike install disc 1. Obviously, the boot
> partition is corrupted. I have no idea how I make it corrupted, because
> both the Windows98SE and the MSDOS are working fine.
>
> Is it possible to restore the boot partition from the shrike install disc 1?
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
It would help to know what errors you get when to try to boot linux.