Re: How to restore the boot partition?

Ciba LO schrieb:

Hello Aaron Konstam,
My PC boot manager is XOSL v.1.1.5 - http://www.xosl.org/.

news: Mar 22, 2001
http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/manual.html

After I select Redhat Linux from the XOSL menu, then computer hang-ups. Nothing happens. No error message.

Hello Gerry Tool,
I can cat /boot/grub/grub.conf as follows, via "linux rescue" booted from the shrike install disc 1. I can retrieve this file from the boot partition. The linux master boot record in the linux boot partition, (for the location of the linux partitions, please note the listing as below), is corrupted most likely. How do I restore the linux MBR from the shrike install disc 1?

# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,8)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda10
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda9
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,8)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$6RHfLNgY$KbBSQEM4P8il0XXBrOLzj1
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.9)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.9 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title DOS
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

you have no bootdisk?  :-(
afaik you will be asked while installation for it

# makebootdisk

# rpm -qi grub Description : GRUB (Grand Unified Boot Loader) is an experimental boot loader capable of booting into most free operating systems - Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, GNU Mach, and others as well as most commercial operating systems.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ file:///usr/share/doc/grub*/

# grub [tab][tab] grub grub-install grub-md5-crypt grubby

# info grub

#info grub-install

#man grubby

--