Re: How to restore the boot partition?

Ciba LO wrote:
Hello Aaron Konstam,
My PC boot manager is XOSL v.1.1.5 - http://www.xosl.org/. After I select Redhat Linux from the XOSL menu, then computer hang-ups. Nothing happens. No error message.

Hello Gerry Tool,
I can cat /boot/grub/grub.conf as follows, via "linux rescue" booted from the shrike install disc 1. I can retrieve this file from the boot partition. The linux master boot record in the linux boot partition, (for the location of the linux partitions, please note the listing as below), is corrupted most likely. How do I restore the linux MBR from the shrike install disc 1?

# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,8)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda10
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda9
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,8)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$6RHfLNgY$KbBSQEM4P8il0XXBrOLzj1
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.9)
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.9 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

I notice that you are using the password parameter. Maybe your problem is as simple as usng that. If you open Konquerer and enter info:grub into the address bar, you will see all of the manual info about grub. A quote is below.
=============
Thus, GRUB provides "password" feature, so that only administrators
can start the interactive operations (i.e. editing menu entries and
entering the command-line interface). To use this feature, you need to
run the command `password' in your configuration file (
password), like this:

password --md5 PASSWORD

If this is specified, GRUB disallows any interactive control, until
you press the key <p> and enter a correct password. The option `--md5'
tells GRUB that `PASSWORD' is in MD5 format. If it is omitted, GRUB
assumes the `PASSWORD' is in clear text.
I suspect you did not want to use this, since the password is extremely complex. In that case, once you are in linux, as root edit grub.conf and remove that password --md5 .... line.

Then, still as root, run

grub-install /dev/hda9

to update the boot record.

Then, your boot loader may work as you expect.

Hope this helps.

Gerry