Re: Where does 1586 and i686 break?

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 06:28, William Hooper wrote:

> Audioslave - 7M3 - Live said:
> > William Hooper wrote:
> >> Don't forget the Pentium Pro is actually the start of the i686 chain.
> >>

> > The version of the 2.5.70 kernel with MMX seemed to be sort of sluggish.
> > The 686 compiled Red Hat versions seem to work alright. My processor
> > information is below. Which is part of my confusion.
> >
> > processor       : 0
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 6
> > model           : 5
> > model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
> > stepping        : 0
> > cpu MHz         : 233.293
> > cache size      : 512 KB
> > fdiv_bug        : no
> > hlt_bug         : no
> > f00f_bug        : no
> > coma_bug        : no
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 2
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
> > cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
> > bogomips        : 465.30
> >
> > The family being 6 and the model being 5 add even more to my confusion.
> > I'll have to check out what a pentium pro actually is.
>
> If it makes any difference to you:
> [whooper@xxxxxxxx whooper]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 1
> model name      : Pentium Pro
> stepping        : 9
> cpu MHz         : 199.435
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> bogomips        : 398.13
>

> >> There is no such thing as a PII without MMX.  The only i686 processor
> >> without MMX is the P-Pro.
> >>
> >   Thanks for the P-Pro as the starting point for the split to the i686.
> > My coppermine works great with that archetecture. The Deschutes confused
> > me the most with the Celeron also being a PII.
> >
> > I'll try to compile my next kernel as an i686, then another as an i586,
> > to see which is the best for this slow machine.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Jim
>
> A number of people have stated that code optimized for the i586 runs
> slower on an i686 than either i386 or i686 code.  IIRC it has to do with
> how the i686 does branch prediction... or maybe it has to do with the code
> cache, I don't remember.  I probably could look it up in my "The Intel
> Microprocessors" book[1], but I don't recall if it covers the i686.
>
> [1] Interesting trivia since I recognize you from the COLUG group, the
> [...]

Your assertions are true but another reason is the
relative speeds of  instructions.

Let's imagine that there are two ways to do a thing:
-One with two instructions we will call A and B
-One with a single instruction we will call C

Now assume that on the 386 and the P6 family all three
instructions have the same speed while in the i586
C is three times slower than A and B.
That means that code optimized for I586 will use the
A+B combo and thus will be slower on a P6 than code
optimized for the 386 who will use the C instruction

Copying blocks of memory is an example of a task who
will be faster on a P6 if it is done  the 386 way
than if it is done the Pentium way.

			JFM