Re: Where does 1586 and i686 break?

Mike Burger wrote:
On 6 Jun 2003, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

In reference to kernels and microprocessors. I have a pentium II
(Dechutes) and was wondering where the I686 build is supposed to be used
at.

When I compiled the 2.5.70 kernel, I chose the MMX processor type. I was
wondering if the i686 would be a better choice.

Also, is a pentium II with MMX technology (dechutes) better than a
Celeron?

586 is Pentium (including MMX) 686 covers PII, PIII, Celeron, etc.

Thanks for the answer. I first thought that the PII was a Pentium with a lower core voltage. I wasn't sure if there was any difference in the instruction sets within the processors.

For Red Hat kernels, I have been selecting the i686 kernels, for my PII with MMX. After being exposed to more names, like dechutes, Celeron (pre-coppermine), coppermine, etc: I was getting a bit confused.

I haven't seen any errors with the i686 on the PII MMX. I did have program failures with the MMX version of the 2.5.70 kernel. I was wondering if I should have selected PII over the MMX, since there isn't an option for a PII with MMX.

Jim

--
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then
you clearly don't understand the situation.