Re: Samba problems -- SOLVED

> On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:04, Price Technology wrote:
>
> <Much snippage here>
>
> A funny thing happened whilst I was working on the original email.
> Didn't want to disrupt myself until I was sure.
>
> I had attached my laptop and booted into W2k and made sure the symptoms
> were the same there as with other winders boxes, which they were.
>
> While composing the message, I tried "Network Servers" again to clarify
> the error message and saw my network.  This led me to check event logs
> on Morticia as well as Gomez and I found that Morticia was complaining
> about Lurch claiming it was browse master, forcing stoppage of the
> browser service and / or election.
>
> Upon rebooting, Gomez became the elected one (per the way winders does
> it)  and Gomez began complaining about the same thing.
>
> Nothing in the "smb.conf" file suggests that Lurch should even consider
> itself a candidate for browse master, but I did make one change:
> Uncommented the line that says "local master = no" which explicitly
> tells the Linux box not to participate in browser elections.
>
> This fixed the problem of Linux not seeing winders boxes and I was even
> able to access shares.  However, the reverse was still an issue.
>
> Having eliminated the "browse master" confusion, I checked what should
> have been obvious all along, firewall settings, though the error didn't
> necessarily appear to be firewall related.
>
> I downloaded "FireStarter", installed, and configured my firewall with
> it.  (sorry, but my feeble old brain can't remember where the files
> abide, how the rules should be formed, etc.)
>
> Everything works like a charm now, except pinging by machine name.  I
> think I can live without that.
>
> Bottom line is:
> Samba configured using gui tool
> smb.conf edited to uncomment "local master = no"
> firewall configured to allow smb / netbios traffic on the local net
>
> Since I noted similar postings in the archives, it seems I'm not the
> only one experiencing such problems.  I hope this information helps one
> or more of them.
>
> Joebewan

Hopefully, a bit more useful info ...

When a browser election occurs I think it can even take up to
15 minutes to sort itself out - be patient :-)

I disable brower master on all Win98 and all Win computers that
get rebooted (I have Win2000Pro as a file server - it's the master)

To see if a Win machine itself is the master browser:
  nbtstat -n
And you will see a name like "..__MSBROWSE__." on the master

>From any Win machine, using each of the IP address of all the
other machines (Win, Linux, ...):
  nbtstat -A a.b.c.d
Will also let you find which one is the master browser

I have an 'almost never' rebooted WinXPHome machine that is the
only other that is allowed to be a master (if the file server
ever goes down like it did a few weeks ago due to a power supply
failure)

I experimented with using one of my Linux boxes as a master
before I reinstalled it to RH8.0 but I had a few problems and
gave up (didn't try very hard :-)

What really needs to be done is for someone to create a new
open file share protocol that runs on Linux and Windows and
then a few years later when it works well - we should all use
it :-)
samba on RH9 has introduced yet more annoying hard to reproduce
problems :-(

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!