Samba problems (me too also)

Forgive my long windedness, but I'm hoping the detail might jar
someone's gray matter.

My network:
Netgear Router: functions as DHCP server, Gateway, et al

Lurch:	My computer, Red Hat 9, workstation install, additional packages
most relevant being the "kitchen sink" where Samba is concerned.
Updated as of last week just before the demo server went offline.

Lurch2k:	evil twin.  Same computer but with W2k (dual boot)  Almost
never use it this way.

Morticia:	Wife's computer.  On all the time but never used.  She thinks
it makes a great nightlight.  W2k OS with all current updates per
winders update.

Gamer:	Son uses this one for gaming.  It's for sale, so it's not named
according to convention.  W98se with all updates per winders update.

Gomez/Fester:	Schitzophrenic Dell Lattitude.  Dual boots W98se (fester)
and W2k (Gomez).  Again, up to date per w/u.

Netgear PS110 print server.  Mentioned to point out that I'm not using
Samba for print sharing, so that doesn't enter into the picture.  Works
great with Linux and a breeze to set up as long as I rememeber the "L1 /
L2" thing.

My problem:

When I click "Network Servers" in the main menu on Lurch it dwells for a
few seconds and gives me the error:
Couldn't display "smb:///" because Nautilus cannot contact the SMB
master browser.  Check that an SMB server is running on the local
network.  Then it opens in my home directory.

>From any winders box, Network Neighborhood shows me all the connected
computers, but double clicking on Lurch tells me:
"\\Lurch is not accessible, the network path was not found."
It's icon shows up every time, but same error when double clicked on.
Connectivity from winders to winders works just fine.

If I "ping lurch" from winders I get:  Unknown host lurch
If I ping by IP address, I get replies.
"net view lurch" or "net view %lurch's IP address%" gives me "the
network path was not found"

Pinging a winders box from Linux by name gives me "unknown host"
Pinging a winders box by IP from Linux gets replies.

Background:
The silly thing worked when I first installed, though I didn't try to
access any shares at the time, wasn't through playing yet.  Can't say
for sure that this broke it, but I recall an update to Samba via
Up2Date.  This may have occurred at install time, so may not even be
relevant.

My winders networking knowledge tells me that Morticia should be the
browse master that Samba is looking for.

I did manually edit "smb.conf" to make Lurch win the elections, but
that's when I first noticed the problem occurring, so after a few checks
for accuracy I restored the original file which I had backed up before
editing.  This was a few weeks ago, so nothing new here, and I haven't
tried since..

Samba was originally configured using the gui tool "System Settings -->
Server Settings --> Samba Server"

No other network connectivity issues.  I access the Internet
(obviously), print server works, and so on.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Joebewan