Re: Samba problems -- SOLVED

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:04, Price Technology wrote:

<Much snippage here>

A funny thing happened whilst I was working on the original email.
Didn't want to disrupt myself until I was sure.

I had attached my laptop and booted into W2k and made sure the symptoms
were the same there as with other winders boxes, which they were.

While composing the message, I tried "Network Servers" again to clarify
the error message and saw my network.  This led me to check event logs
on Morticia as well as Gomez and I found that Morticia was complaining
about Lurch claiming it was browse master, forcing stoppage of the
browser service and / or election.

Upon rebooting, Gomez became the elected one (per the way winders does
it)  and Gomez began complaining about the same thing.

Nothing in the "smb.conf" file suggests that Lurch should even consider
itself a candidate for browse master, but I did make one change:
Uncommented the line that says "local master = no" which explicitly
tells the Linux box not to participate in browser elections.

This fixed the problem of Linux not seeing winders boxes and I was even
able to access shares.  However, the reverse was still an issue.

Having eliminated the "browse master" confusion, I checked what should
have been obvious all along, firewall settings, though the error didn't
necessarily appear to be firewall related.

I downloaded "FireStarter", installed, and configured my firewall with
it.  (sorry, but my feeble old brain can't remember where the files
abide, how the rules should be formed, etc.)

Everything works like a charm now, except pinging by machine name.  I
think I can live without that.

Bottom line is:
Samba configured using gui tool
smb.conf edited to uncomment "local master = no"
firewall configured to allow smb / netbios traffic on the local net

Since I noted similar postings in the archives, it seems I'm not the
only one experiencing such problems.  I hope this information helps one
or more of them.

Joebewan