Liability and linux multimedia

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Very cool.  One of the tasks I'll be undertaking to make this a marketable
> product, is to script the installation so that all the user has to do when
> they get the unit is double click on an icon or run a script that will
> download all the stuff, build it, install it, and place in the pre-made
> config files.  This way my company won't be liable for installing
> questionable software, like mp3 codecs and the like.

In other words:
1) SW foo is illegal/"questionable" under current laws
2) You sell a box which could use it
3) You do not install it because of #1,  but
4) You install a script/button which means "I (ACME, Inc) could not install
      foo because it's illegal, so *I* (still ACME, Inc) only  installed this
      illegal-foo-installer applet to make it both easy for you, and not
accountable to
      me, the use of illegal SW"
5) You explain points 1-4 in cour, and they keep a straight face

Good luck (me giggling, and lawyers giggling even more, while sharpening their
knives)

The only way you (the HW/SW maker) can hope to stay clear is to ignore at all levels
even the existence of "SW foo", and let THIRD parties, totally UNRELATED to you,
the burden to say around "foo exists, and this is the way to install it".

Which, by the way,  is exactly what Red Hat does: do they place icons to
freshmeat in their
desktop? No. Guess why.

Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti