Re: OT: hardware question - monitor colour

On June 4, 2003 04:39 pm, Steve Smith shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Elton Woo wrote:
> >This isn't a software related question, and not really related to linux,
> >but I'm hoping that someone on the list might be able to help me.
> >More specifically someone who either *builds* his own systems, or
> >who knows a lot about hardware.
  ... (edited) ...
> >At the moment, all the "whites" in my windows are a pale yellowish-green.
> >(Not pleasant to look at ... the Red Hat icon shows red, of course ... but
> > the blue desktop is a dark green...
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Elton  ("its not easy being yellowish-green")...  :-(
> >

> Look in the VGA connector that plugs into your PC video card and make
> sure non of the pins are pushed in or bent over.
> Steve

I've checked the pins at both ends and they arenm't bent. The second
row of each connector is missing a pin. I haven't lookad these for
*years*, but I think 14-pins is the norm, right?  On a recent shutdown,
I inadvertently hit a button the front of the monitor, and the self-test
came up in the normal bright white, red, and blue.

... so it's *definite* that the fault is NOT with the monitor. BTW,
this Viewsonic 17 (original model) has 5-BNC connectors, besides the
standard VGA connector. I don't recall ever having seen BNC connector
in this lifetime, BUT, would it be worth it to get such connectors? Other
than a faint "pinkish" tinge in white (when the entire monitor is displaying
in white, it seems that this screen still has a few more years of life in it.

ERGO, is it worth it trying to find BNC connectors, or should I stick with
the standard VGA ones... in any case, I'm off to Bureau en Gros up on
Pie IX (Montreal Nord) for a new cable.... <*SIGH*>  .. always some
*unwanted expense* ... I guess my purchase of a cheapo VCR will have
to wait another month... :-(

Elton.