Re: Tool to make sound files from audio tape

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 22:59, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Which tools on shrike do I need to play audio taped on my stereo and
> record the sound into electronic data on my computer.

There are many free tools available to do that, from very simple ones to
complex DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) applications.
You can take a look at the PlanetCCRMA project, they make a collection
of media tools on top of Red Hat Linux. The software i'll mention below
is included in this collection.

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

The most powerful DAW tool on Linux seems to be Ardour:

http://ardour.sourceforge.net/

> I have 2 shrike machines running neither has X installed so command
> line tools would be best.

Then you should probably take a look at Ecasound:

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/

Pay attention though, that the most simple applications are likely to
create problems such as skipping portions of the song when recording,
etc. To ensure a perfect recording you have to use applications that
were designed to do that.

I'm speaking here especially about the "sox |" type of solutions that
are quite popular. Read the "I get occasional audio dropouts" FAQ entry
in the Ecasound documentation:

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/users_guide/html_uguide/index.html#SECTION00650000000000000000

To alleviate these issues, you need applications that can do
double-buffering, perhaps also use low-latency kernels, etc.

Also try the special kernel provided by the PlanetCCRMA project. It is
designed for this kind of work.

If you take all these precautions, you get a skip-free recording even
under very difficult conditions, such as recording at high bitrates
while compiling several large projects at the same time. The system
responsiveness goes down the toilet, but the DAW application doesn't
skip a milisecond.
Otherwise, you may get brief skipped portions even under trivial
circumstances.

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith