Tool to make sound files from audio tape

Which tools on shrike do I need to play audio taped on my stereo and
record the sound into electronic data on my computer.

I think I understand the mechanical part of hooking RCA cales from my
tape deck out line to a 1/8 adaptor into sound card. Once there;
which tools do I use to create files from the incoming audio?

Somewhere I heard grip could do it but don't see anything on the
interface to indicate so.  (that was on a 7.3) machine.

I have 2 shrike machines running neither has X installed so command
line tools would be best.

The simple play/rec apps look like it might do this but I was a
little bewildered by the command line choice.  Hoping to get a few
syntax clues here.