2.5.xx Kernels: Some Success

I've been dabbling with the 2.5.73-bk8 kernel on one machine which is
running RAID-1 on a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard with two, Western
Digital WD1200JB drives as the RAID array. The board has a fully
functional Promise PDC20276 chip with the RAID part disabled so I can
use software RAID.

At first, I couldn't even get kernel messages following the
"Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel" message. The kernel
seemed to freeze. I followed Pavel Rozenboim's advice for setting up
virtual console support but the same problem manifested itself.

I helped myself to the config file that Robert P. J. Day posted and
recompiling with this (slightly modified for my hardware) resulted in a
kernel that would start to boot. But it issued a panic message because
it couldn't mount the raid array member md1. There are a couple of
messages about RAID failing. I'm wondering if I need an updated
raidtools package?

I then downloaded the 2.5.74 kernel to a different machine, an (older)
Dell XPS T550. I modified Mr. Day's config file to better suit my
particular hardware. The 2.5.74 kernel boots on this, there are some
failures, but it boots! I'm still working with it to change the .config
options to get things like Tulip network card drivers.

Nothing perfect yet, but I think Messrs. Day, Rozenboim and others have
got me off to a great start. Thanks!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA