Re: 2.5.xx Kernels: Some Success

On 3 Jul 2003, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I helped myself to the config file that Robert P. J. Day posted and
> recompiling with this (slightly modified for my hardware) resulted in a
> kernel that would start to boot. But it issued a panic message because
> it couldn't mount the raid array member md1. There are a couple of
> messages about RAID failing. I'm wondering if I need an updated
> raidtools package?
>
> I then downloaded the 2.5.74 kernel to a different machine, an (older)
> Dell XPS T550. I modified Mr. Day's config file to better suit my
> particular hardware. The 2.5.74 kernel boots on this, there are some
> failures, but it boots! I'm still working with it to change the .config
> options to get things like Tulip network card drivers.

man, i sure wasn't man enough to try to move to a 2.5 kernel and support
RAID at the same time.

i suggest checking out the linux-kernel mailing list archives, which
live with a zillion other list archives at http://marc.10east.com.
you'll find the linux kernel list archive under the "Linux" subheading,
and you can search on "RAID" and see what comes up.

the trick seems to be to not just run a "make oldconfig" using
your current 2.4 .config file.  there are so many new options that
it's strongly recommended to walk through a full config at least
once to see what's there.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day