Re: Tool to make sound files from audio tape

Stephen Carville <carville@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 10:59 pm, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Which tools on shrike do I need to play audio taped on my stereo and
>> record the sound into electronic data on my computer.
>
> I use gramofile.  It records the sound data as a wav file and can
> split the tracks.  Very useful when transferring tapes or records to
> CD.  In the rare case where it goofs the split, the data file for the
> track offsets is ascii and can be hand edited.  I am converting a lot
> of my wife's tapes to CD's using it.
>
> http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

Stephen, Sorry to pester you privately.  I finally got around to
downloading and trying gramofile.  Either I'm missing some files or
I'm the dumbest kid on the block.  So far its proven to be basically
useless. I'm pretty sure its operator error, but the readme doesn't
give much to go on.

Many usages involve hitting the mixer button.  All else follows.  But
I see nothing usefull happen when hitting the `Mixer button'

Example : ./gramofile
         1) Record audio to sound file
┌─File name:───────────────
    │/usr/local/src/gramofile-1.6/new.wav
    └────────────────────

Select Mixer (as per readme instructions)

 │ Make sure that the appropriate channel │
 | is selected for recording, and all the │
 | others for playback.                 [ok]  │

Here it seems the only choice is `ok'.  No advice is offered as to
how one might do what is printed there.  `Make sure ...etc'

So, now I'm flying blind.  press [ok]

TAB to `START RECORDING'

Not surprisingly this brings me back to the original 1-6 choices
And not surprisingly nothing good has happened.  or is happening
No new.wav appears ... nothing ..zip.

Apparently I'm supposed to see somekind of interface when I press
`Mixer'.  The README even indicates it has a man page xmixer(1).

I see nothing of the sort.