Re: No Sound in kernel 2.4.20-18.9 - Am I the only one?

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 07:55, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I'm stumped on this one. I can't seem to get sound working in the latest
> official Red Hat kernel on my system. That would be kernel-2.4.20-18.9.
> I still have the old kernel around (kernel-2.4.20-8) which DOES work.
> While I could go back to that kernel, I'd prefer not to at this point
> because of NVidia and VMware stuff I'm doing and going back & forth all
> the time is a pain.

If nothing else works, and you definitely need sound support, you may
try the ALSA drivers instead of the native ones:

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=662
http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=678
http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=681

They work fine for me, on the latest RH kernel update, together with all
sorts of other 3rd party modules (including NVidia).
You may need to slightly alter the modules.conf, search for your card in
the webpage below and copy/paste the modifications:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

You need to comment out the references to the original drivers in
modules.conf

Shouldn't make a big difference for normal multimedia usage, but they
are heaps and gobs better for higher-end-ish multimedia work.

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith