Re: Upgrade 7.2 -> 9.0 on ataraid using Promise 20265

On Thursday, Apr 17, 2003, at 02:47 US/Pacific, Eric Koldeweij wrote:

I just need to let that installer know that it should look on the
ataraid devices when searching for installed components. Anyone have any
idea how to do that?

Good question... Short of creating a custom installer CD, I don't know of a way. Anyone else?

Another idea might be to "upgrade" from Promise-supplied RAID to Linux software raid.

Not a bad idea.

Can that be done without losing my data?

Yes.

If so, how?

Off the top of my head, the easiest route I can think of would be to use mondorescue <http://www.mondorescue.org/>. Install the necessary files, create a backup CD set with mondo, then do an interactive restore after you change the Promise controller to single drives only. While booted off the mondo restore CD, you should be able to set up your drives for software RAID, then restore to them as such (KP, please correct me if I'm wrong). You'll have a bit of fstab and bootloader config editing to do, but it works. I've used mondo several times myself, including restores where I've completely changed the drive layouts (though not specifically in the manner you would be).

Will I be able to upgrade then?

Yes, at least in theory :). My software RAID systems all had no problems upgrading to 9.

Will there be performance loss or improvement?

Hard to say. Those Promise chips are sort of pseudo-RAID controllers... I've heard many people say that Linux software RAID actually performs better on a fast system, but that was some time back, so the Promise drivers probably have improved, but who knows how much. The Linux software RAID drivers are far more flexible, but with respect to performance, I guess you'd just have to wait and see.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>