2 erratic problems with Red Hat 9

Hello, Everyone :)
I upgraded to Red Hat 9 about a week or two ago, and except for the two
problems that I am asking about in this e-mail, I am completely
satisfied :)

1. Have any of you had any problems su'ing into root?  Sometimes, when I
type "su" and hit enter, it just hangs there (can't remember if it's
before the password prompt or after)  If I open up a new terminal
window, then I can su into root just fine.  It acts the same when I do
su -  (I usually use konsole, so I don't know if it does it in other
terminals or not)

2. This is the real confusing one.  Except for this problem, I have had
no problems with ripping or burning CD's with Red Hat 9.  Here goes:
When I record a cd from the command line with the following command:
"cdrecord -v speed=48 dev=0,0,0 cdimage.raw", it goes through the
process fine, but when I try to mount it, I get the following:
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
/dev/cdrom: Invalid argument
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/cdrom: Invalid argument
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

When I attempt to run the following:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

I get this error:
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

The really confusing thing is that sometimes, if I go back and try
again, I can mount the same cd's that I had just been told that I
couldn't mount!
I tried, multiple times, recording the same image using Xcdroast, which
also uses cdrecord.  Those cd's mount fine everytime.
Here is the command that Xcdroast uses:
CDRECORD dev=0,0,0 gracetime=2 fs=16384k
driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed -v -useinfo speed=48 -dao -eject -pad
-data "/home/steve/ARCHIVES/MUSIC/IMAGES/SteveTaylorAlphabetical.raw"

The command I use to make the .raw files that I am trying to burn is:
mkisofs -R -max-iso9660-filenames -allow-lowercase -o cdimage.raw

Another really confusing thing about all of this, is that the mkisofs
and cdrecord commands that I quoted above, I have been using them
successfully for some time, I think even since I installed Red Hat 9.

In closing, I must make clear that the Xcdroast cd's I make mount
everytime.  The one's that I make from a terminal window only mount
sometimes.  The .raw files that I'm trying to burn are of mp3 files, and
as recently as about a week ago (with Red Hat 9), I've had no problems
encoding or burning mp3's.  I even tried making a .raw file out of
non-mp3's, and that didn't work either.

I did a fresh install of Red Hat 9, I chose to install EVERYTHING, all
of the official updates are installed.  The only thing that COULD (but
probably doesn't) affect this problem, is that I installed the RPM
updates that I saw mentioned on the Red Hat 9 list.
I'm using the latest version of cdrtools, a recent development version
of the Lame encoder, and I use Memorex 48x 700mb media.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated :)
Steven P. Ulrick