Upgrade 7.2 -> 9.0 on ataraid using Promise 20265

Hello All,

I have a running system (7.2 distro) with the filesystems on a RAID array using the on-board Promise 20265 controller. I managed to have it running with a standard (though customized) RedHat 2.4.18-24.7 kernel without using any third-party (i.e. Promise) supplied drivers. The filesystems are mounted on /dev/ataraid/d0px, the array itself is /dev/ataraid/d0

I am trying to upgrade to 9.0 and the installation program does not recognize my filesystems. hmm. When I extract the necessary modules (pdcraid.o and ataraid.o) out of the installation CD, manually insmod them and mknod the /dev/ataraid device files I am able to mount the filesystems perfectly.

I just need to let that installer know that it should look on the ataraid devices when searching for installed components. Anyone have any idea how to do that? Another idea might be to "upgrade" from Promise-supplied RAID to Linux software raid. Can that be done without losing my data? If so, how? Will I be able to upgrade then? Will there be performance loss or improvement?

Thanks in advance,
Eric.