FWD: Cannot use twm or metacity

----- Forwarded message from "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Subject: Cannot use twm or metacity
From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:40:58 +0200
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
I have installed shrike choosing KDE workstation + some extra
packages. Today, to compare performance with or without KDE, I created
a .xinitrc file with "exec metacity" in it. I got some second of black
screen and cross cursor, then black screen with arrow cursor and
nothing happened anymore. Switching back to console 1, where I had
given the startx command, I read what is pasted below (previous lines
lost, sorry).

What am I missing? I do have the uncomfortable feeling that is
something really obvious, but just can't see it tonight. Please be
patient :-) . For the record, giving the absolute path to metacity, or
changing it with twm doesn't change anything, except that the "session
failure" warning is missing. Permissions of .xinitrc were the same as
in RH8 (rw-rw-r--?)

	TIA,
		Marco Fioretti

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-8
(bhcompile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222
(Red Hat
 Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Thu Mar 13 16:42:56 EST 2003
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Apr 16 19:24:26
2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
(EE) MGA(0): Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
(EE) MGA(0): Need at least 9216 kB video memory at this resolution,
bit depth
Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session
manager, so window positions will not be sav
ed: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

It isn't easy being a Friday kind of person in a Monday kind of world.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans
                                                 (John Lennon)