crossover cxoffice, wine, red-carpet not working in RH 9

Since I installed RH 9, my two favorite 3rd party applications no longer work: Codeweavers crossover office (RH 8 version) and Ximian red-carpet updater. As far as I can tell, red-carpet just doesn't like the new version of rpm with Red Hat 9. Anyone know about that? Of course, I could wait for the next update to red-carpet, but why should I have to? Doesn't redhat want to be backwards compatible (at least 1 version)?
Crossover office is a total mystery. I get an error that it can't find the installed applications. I just updated my CXoffice when I installed RedHat 8 because of course the previous version was only compatible with 7.3. I also tried crossover-wine which is sort of the GNU equivalent and had error about "chdir to /tmp/.wine-rmann/server-302-43a3". I've seen this problem (unresolved) on the web and really just wish I could get my Codewevers product to work.

So, what is it now about Linux and backwards compatibility? Are all the libs changing in such a way that they won't support previously installed software?
As far as I know, even Windows XP can still run Win 3.x, Win95 and DOS programs and Mac OS X has a whole compatibility layer to run previous MacOS software.
When is this going to change with Linux so that I can keep my OS up to date and still productively use my third party (paid) software? Of course, I'm sure there are a thousand console and GNU programs that still run regardless of the OS version, but what about my shiny desktop software?