Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

Holy cow!  I never anticipated so much activity on this list!  I'm
afraid to think how many people there are on *this* list.

Alright, I just prelinked (-av) on one machine (my brother Daniel's)
that is identical to mine except that his has a faster hard drive.  The
two systems used to be so close in program starts that I couldn't time
any difference.  In fact, we played around with booting at the same
time, and the two systems were perfectly synchronized.

Gedit now takes almost exactly 6 seconds to load on his prelinked system
and almost exactly 2 seconds to load on mine.

OpenOffice takes 20 seconds on his and 15.5 seconds on mine.

KDiskFree takes 7.5 seconds on his and 2 seconds on mine.

Consistently, prelinked stuff is getting slower.

Alright, I'll respond the best I can.

> never tried prelinking myself  so cant help there
> not suprised you never tried 8.1  cause it has never existed.

Okay okay, I mean Phoebe.  I had guessed 8.1 beta would become 8.1, so I
got into the habit of calling it 8.1.  When I refer to "8.1", I mean
Phoebe, which was beta to 9.

One other thing I noticed is that on the prelinked systems, the log off
command on the actions menu (or the red hat menu) takes a long time to
do anything, and sometimes does nothing at all.  I read that someone
else on this list had this same problem after prelinking.

By the way, to everyone being picky about me calling it 8.1, Michael
Schwendt brought up a good point.  Do a Google search for "RedHat 8.1"
and you'll get over a thousand hits, even some from domains like
Redhat.com and distrowatch.com.  ;-)  Language is 100% perception.

Psycho, Phobia, Shreek...  hehe, this is more fun than "Winblows" or
"Microsoft CE Me NT"  sorry, I'll get tired of it soon...

> Most of the errors are about libGL.so not being PIC, right?
> That's something that needs still fixing.

Right.  At first, I thought it had something to do with the nVidia
drivers, but the same thing happens on systems with ATI cards.

> Are you really sure this is because of prelink and not because
> of something else? Ie. if you prelink -ua do the problems away and
> if you do prelink -am it appears again? I certainly cannot reproduce
it
> here either (fully prelinked RHL 9). If you talk about browsers,
aren't
> you using some JDK which doesn't work together with NPTL?

umm, sorry, I was gonna test that, but now the system doesn't start at
all.

> Did you do an "rpm -e at" or "chkconfig --level 12345 atd off"? I'm
> running fine with "atd" disabled.

I have no idea.  :-)  I just installed it when I installed RH 9.  I
don't know how it installs.  But also atd is not giving me any
problems.  It gives me an "ok" and then just hangs there.

Just now, I removed as many services as I could, and it still hangs.

> I have a Windows XP computer at home and I periodically mount its
> filesystem using smbfs with no trouble at all. What kind of system is
> serving files through SMB? Any message on /var/log/messages or kernel
> ring? Maybe an strace of the smbmount command could be useful for
> tracking this.

We're all Linux here except one workstation that serves as our TV, and
it's using '98.  The server is using RH 9.  I'll read up on "strace"
this upcoming week, but in the mean time, I'm gonna just reconfigure the
server so that the read/write share is on an ext3 partition.

> I repeat: do *not* use an optical mouse on a dark surface.

Haha, I never thought about that!  I have thought of trying to use it on
a mirror, but I'm too lazy to try.  ;-)

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the surface, but on the topic of
surfaces, I find particleboard to be by far the best surface.  There's
no glare or deflection, and the surface is generally nice and smooth,
which of course makes more difference with ball mouses than optical.

> There was never a Red Hat Linux 8.1, so you couldn't have tried
> it if you wanted to.  ;o)

Yeah, I get it...

> There has never been a Red Hat Linux 8.1 release though, and
> we've never shipped ALSA before to the best of my knowledge, so
> you couldn't install 8.1.

No 8.1, got it.  ^_^

> That's right, because there has never been a Red Hat Linux 8.1
> release before so it couldn't have had any problems let alone
> this one.

Yup.  :-p

> Perhaps you're refering to Mandrake 8.1, Slackware 8.1, SuSE 8.1
> or some other version 8.1 distribution, because Red Hat has never
> had an 8.1 distribution.
>
> 7 -> 7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.3 -> 8.0 -> 9
>
> No 8.1.

actually, now I'm a little surprised, Mike.  I mean, I realize I called
it 8.1, and I should have called it 8.0.94, but lots of people on the
Phoebe list called it 8.1.  I'm surprised you didn't guess I mistakenly
meant Phoebe.  I also understand that Red Hat never released it as a
full-fledged distro, just a beta, but being that 9 essentially has it's
roots in it, I figured it would be relevant to refer to it when
comparing to 9.  (BTW, in case anyone wonders, I totally agree with
calling Shrike 9 instead of 8.1.  It's the same as Mac calling their new
system OSX.)

> Since the subject line says 8.1-3, I think he meant the thurd beta of
> what became RHL9. I think 8.0.94, so he rounded up :)

Thank you Thomas!  I was beginning to question my sanity.  I was about
to fire up a phoebe install to see what it said on the first screen.

> i never install more than i need i cherish my hdd space and dont want
to wa=
> ste=20
> it on data i dont need there.

I tend to install everything, because I hate going back to the original
CDs, and I can't stand when I start compiling something and it says,
"oops, you need some more stuff on your computer before we can do
that."  installing kernel sources, for example, is required for building
nVidia drivers.  not to mention I actually play with most of the toys.
:-)  I like seeing all the languages come up correctly in browsers and
such.  I'm a bit obsessive, tho...

> again 8.1?  where did you get this release?  just because the red
write sha=
> re=20
> is in the read only share doesnt matter  the two shares are treated as
two=
> =20
> different entities with different permissions.  did you access the
director=
> y=20
> by navigating the read only share or via the the seperate read/write
entity=
> ? =20
> post revelant portions of your smb.conf file  so we can see if it
is=20
> something in the conf file

It's really quite small.  In fact, here's the whole thing:

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   guest only = yes
   create mask = 777
   directory mask = 777

[networkdata]
   directory = /sharedc/networkdatastorage
   writable = yes
   read only = no

[networkdata2]
   directory = /unused
   writable = yes
   read only = no

[c]
   path = /sharedc
   writable = no
   read only = yes

[HP4]
   printer = HP4
#   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   printable = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   read only = no

If you're wondering about the rediculous redundancy, I basically started
trying everything I could think of.

My /sharedc is my vfat drive.  /unused is a 5GB Ext3 partition I had
never used for anything, so I made it into a temporary (and perfectly
functional) public read/write share.

I've tried messing with this file all over the place.  For a while, I
thought it might have to do with how the actual shared folder is
physically set up, but that isn't the case with vfat.  The fact is that
this smb.conf and that drive right now work on Red Hat 8 and a Vector
installation I have on this system.

> Red Hat dont supply or support alsa,  i have installed third party
alsa=20
> drivers on two machines  one is great the other the oss drivers are
much=20
> better alsa  makes all sorts of echos and not so nice sounding noise.

Sorry, I've just figured that out, and now I'm even more confused than
before.  Perhaps I'm thinking of aRts?  I'm not informed enough in ALSA
and aRts to know what I'm talking about.

> If the tarball produces the same results  how can it be a Red Hat
issue?  i=
> =20
> didnt have any issues with moz 1.2.1  but i only had it on for a few
days=20
> before i put 1.3 on=20

I installed 1.3 and 1.4 from tarball, and they all had the same weird
bug.  The same mozillas didn't have any problems with Psyche or Phoebe.
My uneducated guess is that it's trying to load helper applications that
don't exist.

> is the mouse configured to use the right protocol?  you can get issues
like=
> =20
> this if its wrong=20

yeah, it's configured right.  in fact, it was perfectly detected at
install time, which was pretty cool.  strangely, this is the same
motherboard and mouse using the same protocol as it did with 8.1 and
8.0, and it's also the same mommyboard and mouse as all the others in
the house (except for four), but mine is the only system that has this
problem, even though others are using RH9 as well.

> That is an annoyance in the stock xscreensaver source code, not
> something that we've added, at least to the best of my knowledge.
> I do agree it is quite annoying though.  Patches welcome.

gotcha.  I'm still trying to find time to re-learn programming.  (I used
to be a great C++, Pascal, and Assembly programmer for DOS, and I'm
completely lost with the GUI stuff.  I used to write stuff a lot like
it, and I'm completely stumped!  Haha.  I'd probably do better hacking
the kernel.)

By the way, I'm still totally stumped as to how to make xscreensaver
work on a system whose sole user is root.  I don't want to type xhost
+localhost every time I boot, and I've read through the xscreensaver
info way too much and have not come any closer to making it work.

As I'm writing this email, Shrike is falling apart on my system.  :-(
Now everything shows error messages.  My brother's system is still
running pretty well.  I'll probably just install 8.0, 8.0.94, and 9 on
my system and jump around between them until I find one that works well
for me.

Thanks guys!

-Benjamin Vander Jagt

--