Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On 11 Apr 2003, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:

>> never tried prelinking myself  so cant help there
>> not suprised you never tried 8.1  cause it has never existed.
>
>Okay okay, I mean Phoebe.  I had guessed 8.1 beta would become 8.1, so I
>got into the habit of calling it 8.1.  When I refer to "8.1", I mean
>Phoebe, which was beta to 9.

There was never an "8.1 beta".  Go back and look at any Red Hat
beta release and you will not find any beta that says it is "8.1
beta".  Our beta releases have not ever been called what the
final release of the product will be plus the word beta.  For
example, what became 8.0, was not "8.0 beta", it was several
beta releases numbered 7.3.9x where x was an internal build
number of that beta release, which generally varies from 0 to 5
roughly.  The betas for Red Hat Linux 7.1 were 7.0.9x, the betas
for 7.2 were 7.1.9x, the betas for 7.3 were 7.2.9x, the betas for
8.0 were 7.3.9x, and the betas for 9 were 8.0.9x.  There was
never an 8.1 beta.

The only "8.1" is that which was invented by various users out
there in their own minds as to what the next Red Hat Linux
release would be called based on some historical precedence.  For
a great many months I saw users in IRC and email mentioning "8.1
beta" or "when is 8.1 coming out" and the like, so it isn't a
complete surprise to me that many people have locked in their
minds "8.1".  Of course all of us had to just sit back tongue in
cheek and not say anything because we don't preannounce release
dates/names/versions.  ;o)

Nonetheless, there isn't, and never was an "8.1" in final nor in
beta form ever.  Unless you count users imaginations, in which
case 8.1 existed in the minds of many users.  ;o)

>By the way, to everyone being picky about me calling it 8.1, Michael
>Schwendt brought up a good point.  Do a Google search for "RedHat 8.1"
>and you'll get over a thousand hits, even some from domains like
>Redhat.com and distrowatch.com.  ;-)  Language is 100% perception.

Imagination is more like it.  What is funny, is that I saw
various online news sites claiming to "have the scoop" on "Red
Hat Linux 8.1" including fabricated interviews with Red Hat
employees claiming that "8.1 will be out in April 2003" and
whatnot.  Of course the masses of readers out there will
automatically assume that based on previous Red Hat release
versions that the next version would be 8.1, and that this news
site must have good sources to get this super secret information.

That article ended up being copied verbatim or with slight
modifications by tonnes of other online news sites, thus
furthering the fabrication.  It wasn't all in vain though as now
we all know which news sites out there have no journalistic
integrity whatsoever, and will rush to publish a fake story, just
to get good web hits, or to clone a fake story to share the
glory.  If these sites post fabricated stories like this, IMHO
one must assume that many/all of their stories are fabricated, or
at least not independantly confirmed or reliable.

I now know many "news" sites to avoid, just search for all the
sites out there claiming they had the scoop on "8.1".  ;o)

>actually, now I'm a little surprised, Mike.  I mean, I realize I called
>it 8.1, and I should have called it 8.0.94, but lots of people on the
>Phoebe list called it 8.1.

Yep, lots of people have furtive imaginations.  ;o)  It is as if
people can make imaginary software versions of anything just by
believing in numbers that it exists.

What will people imagine the next release will be called?  ;o)
Perhaps someone should get Slashdot to do a poll, and we'll keep
things quiet and name the next release something nobody expects,
such as "Red Hat Linux French Horn".  Oh wait, Prince might have
trademarked that.

;o)

>I'm surprised you didn't guess I mistakenly meant Phoebe.  I
>also understand that Red Hat never released it as a full-fledged
>distro, just a beta, but being that 9 essentially has it's roots

No, not even as a beta.  ;o)  We really truely never had an 8.1
anything.  ;o)

One thing that is great though, is the amount of amusement we now
can all get by being pedantic with y'all.  ;o)

Ok, enough of my goofiness now...  back to work.  ;o)