Re: new mysterious up2date option...

Thomas Dodd wrote:

Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

I'll have to try that option on my other machine. Upgrading the redhat-release package, then going from phoebe3 to shrike worked out without errors to the system. (At least none noticed yet).

How exactly did you upgrade redhat-release?
How did you upgrade the rest?

-Thomas

If you go to RHN network, select software (I believe). You can go to alternative channels to retrieve software. If you go to the newer beta or newer version channel. Select rpms for the filter. type redhat-release. The package should appear.
download the new rpm. Then perform an
rpm redhat-release-vernumber.rpm --upgrade

The next time that you run up2date, it should list the packages available for the new release.

During betas, I had troubles with kdenetwork and lisa, since lisa is included in kdenetwork now. I also had trouble with mozilla 1.3 rpms.

But for going from beta3 to RH9. I didn't have any conflicts.

The main reason that I've been doing the updates through up2date is the CDR burning problem. It is safer than burning ISOs for me.

I had to update through up2date from beta1 to beta2. Beta1 killed my X server. No GUI!

I used lynx to get the redhat-release for that failure. Navigating rhn-network was a bit frustrating. I was able to navigate and retrieve the redhat-release version, amidst a lot of cursing.

Jim C.

--
A good reputation is more valuable than money.
		-- Publilius Syrus