Re: new mysterious up2date option...

Ed Wilts wrote:
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:37:20PM +0100, M A Young wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

But the one thats _REALLY_ got my going "hrmmmmm!" is this one (which has no
entry in the man page, nor the Changelog file):

 --upgrade-to-release=<release-version>
                       Upgrade to the channel specified

Is this what I think it is?  A support (but hidden) way of doing dist version
upgrades with up2date?!  <que angels>HAAAAAALLELUJAH!</angels>

Presumably. Though they aren't going out of their way to publicize it, so I would wonder if it is supported yet.

Unofficially, it's not supported (since I don't work for nor speak for
Red Hat) but that's what I've heard.  All it basically does is replace
what some other people have done in the past by upgrading redhat-release
- you get access to the channel for the new release and take your
chances with rpm doing the right thing on the package upgrade.  This
will not be the same thing as putting the CD in and doing a normal
upgrade.

Those who try the new option may be in for some very unpleasant
surprises if something like glibc changes between releases.  When that
dependency check happens and you start sucking down those updates, you
could be there awhile.... You request one package update from the new
version and you'll find yourself updating a thousand packages :-(

I'll have to try that option on my other machine. Upgrading the redhat-release package, then going from phoebe3 to shrike worked out without errors to the system. (At least none noticed yet).

Jim C.

--
A good reputation is more valuable than money.
		-- Publilius Syrus