Re: new mysterious up2date option...

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 12:52, Ed Wilts wrote:

> Unofficially, it's not supported (since I don't work for nor speak for
> Red Hat) but that's what I've heard.  All it basically does is replace
> what some other people have done in the past by upgrading redhat-release
> - you get access to the channel for the new release and take your
> chances with rpm doing the right thing on the package upgrade.  This
> will not be the same thing as putting the CD in and doing a normal
> upgrade.

I'm not sure why you think it's THAT different.  Most of what the
anaconda installer does in upgrade mode is upgrading the RPMs.  The RPMs
are the same, and run the same scripts, regardless of whether they're
called by anaconda, or up2date/yum/apt.  Now, I'm sure there are minor
things that anaconda does that a straight RPM-based upgrade can't, like
the converting your ext2 to ext3 filesystems (back when they ext3 was
introduced).  But just look at the release notes and figure out which of
those things you must do manually.  I can't think of any gotchas like
this for an RHL 8.0 to RHL 9 upgrade.

> Those who try the new option may be in for some very unpleasant
> surprises if something like glibc changes between releases.  When that
> dependency check happens and you start sucking down those updates, you
> could be there awhile.... You request one package update from the new
> version and you'll find yourself updating a thousand packages :-(

So why is that "unpleasant"?  Isn't upgrading the whole distribution the
point?  Why would you not want all of those packages??  What you
describe sounds like exactly the expected and desired behavior; anything
else would be incorrect.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |