Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

David Krider wrote:
I just spent about 2 hours trying to get Quicktime playing on my RHL9 workstation. For reference, my test .mov is the latest "Animatrix"

The perfect solution here is download the latest quicktime player from Apple. Oh wait, Apple doen't have a quicktime player for linux.

Complain to Apple about not being able to use quicktime on your system.
Complain to who ever released the file that they chose a closed, platform limited format, and sugget the release it in an open, platform neutral format, ie., one thos works on OS+CPU combinations other than just Windoze+X86, Mac+PPC (and I think Mac+m68k is still OK).

movie. I have installed mplayer, and so far, I thought it was great, but there's nothing in the world I can seem to do to get it to play files in a browser. Which led me to install pre-made binaries for vlc. Both players lock up on the Animatrix film. Finally I decided to install Crossover Plugin, which I own, but wanted to get away from to use "native" tools, and it's buggered on RHL9.

Lets see. wine (and so the Codeweavers code) use hooks they shouldn't have, and relied on buggy beavior in glibc., so when glibc is fixed, it no longer works. AN you balme Red Hat for using the new glibc?

Sounds like the complaints I hear about Mozilla/NS6+. Web designers relied on buggy, broken implementation in MS4.x and IE. So when Mozilla follows the publisghed standards, the page breaks. Then you blame Mozilla for following the standards more closely. Or somebody writes a browser check using version==4, not version>=4, so now version=5 breaks that code. Are you suggesting following the M$ method and leaving the version at 4, and using some new method to pass the full version number?
(All version of M$ IE since IE4 report "Mozilla/4.0" in the UA string, then put MSIE<real version> later.)

That said, the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable, or booting with nosysinfo should allow you to use wine untill the fix is finished. I see that It's done as a compile time option, but runtime detection is still being worked on <http://www.winehq.com/index.php?issue=164#Wine%20&%20RedHat%209.0>

-Thomas