Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Hiya,

> Why do a 3-year study?  Why not 5, since Enterprise Linux has a 5-
year
> life cycle?  During that 5-year cycle, there are free version
upgrades.
> Windows does not give you that.  An upgrade from Win2K to XP to 2003
is
> extra cost.  Oh, you want an Office upgrade to go along with that?
We'll
> charge you for that too.  Look at *all* the pieces, not just the
OS.

I have to agree with this statement big time. We have one of those
licensing agreements with MS for the latest version and can upgrade
anytime, either OS or Office, to whatever the latest flavor of the
month is. The cost for 500 PC's is $100K/year for that level of
agreement. At least with RH you will get the security fixes when
needed, not when deemed necessary by MS. With the MS agreement? They
are releasing every 3 years or so now. So, for 500 workstations the
cost of getting an upgrade with a MS Licensing/Upgrade agreement is
$300K. These are hard numbers. It appears to me that RH is cheaper as
for the 3 year period the cost, with updates, at the same number of
workstations is $150K. The RH price includes phone tech support, the
MS one does not. If you are calling them, it is approximately $250 per
phone call for MS. So, there is the TCO right there.

Regards,

Eric Burke