Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Bill,

Excellent Point!

now to everyone else (since I don't want to specifically address this to
Bill :), there is a question of how often updates will be issued..

I have absolutely no problem paying for RHN access :) (or buying the
boxed set, heck, you used to get 180 days of updates with the
professional version :), I'd just like to see a discount for basic RHN
subscriptions.

i'd rather not talk figures on this list, but we get pretty hefty
discounts on MS products :( Though, we have a nice licensing program
with corel (which provides office software cheaper! no flames please)

as an example, I have 12 public access terminals, these machines run rh
8.0 and netscape in a limited kiosk mode. We're planning on adding at
least a dozen more over the next couple of months. All will be public
access, all we hope to run RH 8 on. The question becomes, which is
cheaper for us to provide to the public?

the issue here is that on the servers, the issue is almost moot, rh is a
superior product to all competitors IMHO (price and performance).. the
issue for us (and I suspect others) is the desktop.

We will hopefully be upgrading 3 servers (as a start) this summer to an
enterprise offering. On a side note, is the sendmail in the enterprise
lines TLS capable?

tom