Re: CD Burning still a losing proposition

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 17:29, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

Guessing anyway, these cd burners use the ide-scsi module, which was modified to allow multiple drivers, if my understanding is correct, with my reading. This feauture, in my assumption, allows magicdev to interrupt the device,using the scd mount point. Which is currently accessed, using the sg driver.
In my theory, this causes the device to make "multitasked" CDRs. Most of these errors seem minor enough for the CDRs to recover, through the error correction, in the device being used.

Interesting. I hope your theory holds water - I'd love for this to be
fixed.

I submitted a bug for this problem. But cutting out the scsi-emulation and treating it as an IDE is all that I suspect will resolve the problem.

This is the problem I see - MOST CD burning software I see out there
specifically looks for a SCSI bus! They demand that IDE devices use the
ide-scsi module. Anyone know how to get around this problem without
having to go out and buy SCSI CD-RW drives?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,

From what certain people stated, who built a succesful 2.5 kernel. They tried one of it's newer features, to treat it as an IDE. According to what I got from thier statements, the scheme works fairly decent.

I haven't tried it myself. I've been unsusessful with getting the 2.5 kernel modules to compile successfully. The kernel compiled without errors. This was attempted on the phoebe beta system. That might have been why the modules wouldn't compile correctly.

Jim C

--
I'm often asked the question, "Do you think there is extraterrestrial intelli-
gence?" I give the standard arguments -- there are a lot of places out there,