Re: CD Burning still a losing proposition

Matt Wilson wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:19:40AM -0800, Michael Knepher wrote:

I've killed and removed magicdev, and turned DMA on/off. Nothing seems
to make a difference.

My system: K6-2 450, VIA MVP-4 chipset with integrated video/audio,
384MB RAM, Sony CRX120E burner (4x8x2x).

How do you have your devices set up on your IDE busses?  Do you have
anything sharing the bus with the burner?  If so, what?

Cheers,

Matt
msw@xxxxxxxxxx
--
Matt Wilson
Manager, Base Operating Systems

I get a similar symptom. The discs that I try complete successfully. However, there are errors reported by the CDRs, on a lesser CD reader. The errors show with audio discs and data discs. If you went to screen 4, when performing a media check on an RH beta disc, the errors related to out of boundary calls.

Additionally, if magicdev was running, you would also see the interruptions recorded, within the cd.

I have two hard disks on the primary IDE controller and the reader is on the secondary, as master unit. The burner is on the secondary, in slave mode.

I haven't had any complete coasters. The discs are just less than can be hoped for.

My last really good discs were for RH8, back in December 2002. Of course discs burned on RH 8 and later were not as good. The good discs were made with RH 7.3, as the OS. For what went wrong, since then. I cannot venture a guess.

Guessing anyway, these cd burners use the ide-scsi module, which was modified to allow multiple drivers, if my understanding is correct, with my reading. This feauture, in my assumption, allows magicdev to interrupt the device,using the scd mount point. Which is currently accessed, using the sg driver.
In my theory, this causes the device to make "multitasked" CDRs. Most of these errors seem minor enough for the CDRs to recover, through the error correction, in the device being used.

I submitted a bug for this problem. But cutting out the scsi-emulation and treating it as an IDE is all that I suspect will resolve the problem.

Guessing,

Jim C.

--
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.