Re: reiserfs option at install time??

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 13:05, joe wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>
> >Suse may have "pulled it off", but with the occassional data corruption
> >here and there.
> >
> Hmm, problem with that theory is that
> suse is pretty solid - you've got stuffy
> european banks depending on it, etc -
>
> How much data corruption do you think
> that bank would stand before they get
> rid of the offending OS?

Actually, Hans Reiser stated in Febuary that there are a few issues left
in the current release they are working on, including one related to
unlink. He also said he "wished he could say they were bug free". There
were also several recent reports on the mailing list of corruption when
using write caching, which seems to be a bane of most journaling
filesystems apparently. The mailing list for the past few weeks seems to
be filled with commentary and discussions about possible data
corruption.

Admittedly, to me some of the more "unstable" aspects that people are
seeing with reiser may be due to using Kernel 2.5 in many instances, or
an untested combination of some random Kernel version + ReiserFS
patches. I personally look for many of the remaining issues to be shaken
out when the 2.5 codebase becomes the mainline stable kernel. I hope
ReiserFS becomes as "bug free" as Hans Reiser desires, alternatives are
always nice.

Does this mean I think ext3, etc. are bug free? No. I'm not that naive.
But for me, ext3 is the way to go for now, I can' tell you how many
times the ability to mount an ext3 partition as ext2 has saved my bacon
so to speak or been very convenient...

Anyway nothing here, move along, just my insigificant 2 cents,
--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.warpcore.org/