Re: lucent agere modem (was Re: newbie)

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 16:01, afme@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Now how to get that win lucent #2 up and going? pretty please.

Sorry, I've been really busy today.  I meant to reply earlier but I've
had customer support issues to deal with and suppliers wanting to sell
their wares! (and pizza to eat), and of course, my 'normal' work to do.
Unfortunately therefore, all I can do for now is point you to this link:
http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/

Try going to the RedHat section, select the latest version:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/dists/redhat/8.26a9/
and download one that matches your kernel.  You'll also have to compare
you chipset to see that it will work with this stuff. Sorry I can't be
more help than that right now, have to go...

If you can only download to windows, and are wondering how to get the
stuff to linux, you need to mount the windows partition when you boot to
linux, and then copy the files over.  This will only work if you're
using fat32, not ntfs (eg win9x, probably not win2000/xp) eg.

Find out what the windows partition is by running 'fdisk /dev/hdx' where
x = driver letter a, b, c or d.  If you don't know, its probably a.  To
be sure,
a is the ide primary master,
b is the ide primary slave,
c is the ide secondary master,
d is the ide secondary slave.

type 'p' when you're in fdisk.  find the one that says system: win95
(not Ext'd) and remember the first entry on that line, eg '/dev/hda5'.
Then 'mkdir /mnt/win', then 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/win'.  If that
all works, good!  then you can go into /mnt/win and browse around for
the file you saved in windows.  Be careful not to edit anything - you
should probably copy the files to your home dir first.

Then you can install the rpm you got from the web:
rpm -ivh name.rpm

And see what happens!!  sorry I can't be more helpful now, I really
hafta go!  I might be able to hop on the weekend and see how you've
gone, but it might have to wait till monday.  In the meantime someone
else might pick up where I've left off...

--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bender to Zoidberg: "You're looking less nuts, crabby."